Wow… this is a really tough question to answer. Reason being, there is no one size fits all kitchen. The kitchen requirements can vary significantly depending on menu, operation, and volume of food. Think about it… different foods and cooking processes require different kinds of equipment. Different kinds of equipment require different types of plumbing, ventilation, and different amounts of space. Also, different processes may require less equipment, space, sinks than another. However—don’t despair! We can give you the most basic spring board from which to launch.
All kitchens need the following:
- Designated Handwashing sinks in all food preparation, service, and dishwashing areas.
- An air gapped three-compartment warewashing sink.
- Adequate number of commercial refrigerators and freezers to meet cold storage needs.
- Commercial cooking and preparation equipment to support the menu proposed.
- Adequate ventilation for heat and vapor producing pieces of equipment.
- Floors, walls, ceilings, and food prep surfaces that are smooth, durable, non-absorbent, and easily cleanable.
- An air gapped food prep sink if fruits and vegetables need to be washed, or food needs to be rinsed, drained, or thawed or cooled using cool water.