Do I need food safety training? Do I need a food handler card?

All Retail Food Establishments (RFE) and Wholesale Food Establishments (WFE) must have one manager or supervisor that is a Certified Food Protection Manager (CFPM). These courses are typically 8 hours long and provide in-depth food safety training.   Course topics include personal hygiene, foodborne illness prevention, purchasing and receiving foods, cleaning and sanitizing, safe food preparation, pest control, and facilities and equipment.  We highly recommend having more than one CFPM.   Having a CFPM available every shift has been shown to reduce food safety violations.   Multiple CFPMs also decreases your chance of being without a CFPM should one of them leave your employment.  The Registered Environmental Health Specialist (REHS) reviewing your application may exempt you from this requirement if you are a risk category 1 RFE or risk category A/B WFE and determined to be very low risk operation (e.g., convenience store that only sells packaged foods or concession stand that sells candy and popcorn).  The REHS will let you know if you meet the exemption.  

Food service staff are not required to have food handler cards or certificates.  However, these classes are a great training tool.   They are very inexpensive (typically around $10) and are typically only 2-4 hours long.  

Go to the Food Safey Classes page under the Food Service menu to find information on accredited CFPM and Food Handler courses.  

Show All Answers

1. When do I need a license?
2. What other agencies do I need to contact?
3. Where do I get a plan review application?
4. Why is plan review required?
5. What does the plan review application require?
6. What are the basic requirements for a commercial kitchen?
7. How much does the plan review cost?
8. Why is the plan review and license fee separate?
9. Are licenses transferable?
10. What do you look at during a preopening inspection?
11. How often are restaurants inspected by the Health Department?
12. Do I need food safety training? Do I need a food handler card?
13. Can I use my 3-compartment sink for handwashing? Do I need a 3-compartment sink if I have a dishwasher?
14. Why is commercial equipment required? Does it need to be NSF?
15. Do I need a grease interceptor?