Does the Planning Department enforce building codes?

No, Cascade County Planning Department does not enforce building codes. Building Codes are enforced by the Building Codes Program (BC Programs is a part of the Commercial Measurements Bureau within the Montana Department of Labor & Industry’s Business Standards Division). The Cascade County Planning Department is responsible for the administration and enforcement of the County’s:

  • Growth Policy
  • Subdivision Regulations
  • Zoning Regulations
  • Building for Lease or Rent Regulations
  • Floodplain Regulations
  • Fireworks Regulations
  • Community Decay Ordinance
  • Litter Ordinance
  • Tax Abatement Ordinance

In addition, the Planning Department oversees road abandonments, conflicts, and questions regarding land use and land use regulations, junk vehicle removal and disposal, as well as assist in the administration of the Planning Board and the Zoning Board of Adjustment.

Show All Answers

1. Do I need a permit to build a foundation or even to build a building/structure, like a shed or a garage?
2. Do I need a permit for a change of use on my land/building?
3. Do I need a permit for starting a business or for my business?
4. Do I need a permit to put a sign up?
5. Does the Planning Department enforce building codes?
6. Does Cascade County issue a Certificate of Occupancy?
7. How do I check to see if a property is in compliance with local land use regulations and ordinances?
8. How do I check to see if I can build or start a business on a piece of property?
9. How do I submit a land use complaint on a property located in the County?
10. How do I get my junk vehicle(s) removed?
11. What kind of plants does the County recommend for the Landscaping Requirements?