Licensing, Plan Review & Remodeling

Licensing Step-by-Step

  1. Obtain appropriate Plan Review Application.  Click on the tabs below to identify the license category and locate the plan review application.
  2. Contact Building and Safety Officials.  Specific contact information for other agencies can be found in the FAQ on the bottom of this page.
  3. Complete Plan Review Application.  Complete all questions and sections.   Mark N/A for any questions or sections that don't apply. 
  4. Submit Application and Plan Review Fee to CCHD.  Applications must be submitted at least 30 days prior to construction and/or anticipated opening date.
    1. A Registered Sanitarian (RS) will review your application.  The RS will contact you with comments and questions.  They will let you know if there are issues that need to be resolved before they can approve the plan. 
    2. The RS will send you a Plan Review Approval Letter once the review is complete and any deficiencies are addressed.
  5. Complete construction.  Establishment must be constructed as specified in the approved plan.   Any changes must be submitted in writing for approval.
  6. Schedule the Preopening Inspection.   Make sure all equipment, plumbing, and ventilation is properly installed and operating before inspection.  
    1. Building and Fire officials should inspect and approve the facility prior to the Preopening Inspection.  They may be scheduled on the same day.   The RS will sign off on the City of Great Falls SIC approval after the preopening inspection.  
  7. Complete State License Application and pay Annual License Fee.  Upon successful completion of the preopening inspection, the owner and RS will complete and sign the License Application.   The license fee must be a check or money order made to DPHHS.  The fee and signed application will be mailed to DPHHS for processing.   Annual renewals will be billed and processed by DPHHS.    
  1. Retail Food
  2. Food Trucks
  3. Temporary Events
  4. Wholesale Food
  5. Cottage Food

A Retail Food Establishments (RFE) prepare, serve, or vend food directly to the consumer.   If you will be operating out of permanent building and will be preparing, serving, packaging, vending, or delivering food directly to the consumer, use the Retail Food Establishment_Plan Review Application.   Some examples of RFE that would use this application are Restaurants, Grocery Stores, Convenience Stores, Gas Stations, Catering Kitchens, Ghost Kitchens, Food Banks, and Soup Kitchens.   Refer to the FAQ below for additional information and criteria for license exemption.

Retail Food Establishment_Plan Review Application

View All FAQs