Motor Vehicle

Treasurer OfficeWithin this department, County residents are able to register and title: 

  • Boats
  • Cars
  • Motor Homes
  • Motorcycles
  • Snowmobiles
  • Trailers
  • Trucks

Registration procedures can be accomplished either at the counters or by mail.

Operational Notice:

Dear customers, Montana Motor Vehicle Division will perform a major system upgrade beginning Thursday, November 19, 2020 at 7:00pm. During the upgrade, vehicle and driver services will be unavailable, but customers may still schedule appointments or use mail-in renewal options. Services will gradually return starting November 23 with full services expected to resume by November 30. We apologize for any inconvenience and thank you for your patience during this process. - MVD Team 

If you are doing business for another party, and you are not the owner, you must provide a Notarized Power of Attorney giving permission to do said business. If it is for a vehicle that is newer than 11 years old, this Power of Attorney must be a Secure Power of Attorney listing vehicle information including the Vin number and mileage of the vehicle.

Hours of Operation Information

  • Motor Vehicle Office Hours: Monday through Friday 7 am to 4:45 pm.
  • Generally, we have our fewest clerks at our busiest times which are from 7 am to 8 am and 4 pm to 4:45 pm (Clerks shifts are from 7 am to 4 pm and 8 am to 5 pm)
  • There will be no personalized plates ordered for vehicles before 8:00 am and after 4:15 pm.
  • There will be no new purchase title work after 4:30 pm.
  • Clerks must be signed off their computers by 4:45 pm in order to be clocked out by 5 pm

New/Used Vehicle Purchase Title & Registration

  1. Walk-in Customers
  2. Military Stationed in Cascade County
  3. Montana Military Stationed Elsewhere
  4. Online Portal

Please be prepared prior to arriving:

  1. Call your dealership and make sure they have turned your paperwork in to us;
  2. Private vehicle sales: Make sure title has been properly filled out and notarized if needed;
  3. Please bring in Montana Driver's License. If there is a second owner, please make sure you have their driver's license number as well. (Only one owner is required to be a Cascade County resident in order to register a vehicle in Cascade County);
  4. If you have an out of state driver's license, you must prove residency by providing one of the following three:
    1. Own property in Cascade County
    2. Six-month signed and dated lease or rental agreement. If less than six-month's, please bring, in addition to the lease or rental agreement, proof of mail being sent to the title holders name and address
    3. Current month's major utility bill or government mail with title holders name and address on it:
      1. Gas, electric or water bill or government mail