Marriage Information

Legal Requirements 

The cost for issuing a marriage license is $53.00 and payable in cash. Please note that we do not accept  personal checks.

Due to the length of time it takes to issue a marriage license, please arrive in our office no later than 4:00 p.m. Both parties must be present with a valid photo ID and be at least 18 years of age.

Marriage license applicants may obtain a marriage license in any Montana county and marry in any Montana county.

Where can I apply for a Marriage License in Cascade County:

  • Clerk of District Court
    415 2nd Ave N, Room 201
    Great Falls, MT 59401

Information Needed For Marriage License

The applicants need:

  • $53.00 Cash  (no checks)
  • Identification indicating proof of age (i.e.: valid driver's license, picture I.D., certified copy of Birth Certificate or Passport). Any other form of I.D. would require approval from this office
  • Birth city, county, state or foreign country of applicants
  • Social Security Number
  • Father's first, middle and last name; along with current city and state residence
  • Mother's first, middle and maiden name; along with current city and state of residence
  • State or foreign country where parents were born
  • "If applicable", must provide certified copy of applicant's previous marriage dissolution (if dissolution was obtained in Cascade County we are able to look up the dissolution) or spousal death and the county/state of occurrence
  • Must be at least 18 years of age or older

Marriage License is effective immediately and will expire in 180 days from the date of issuance. 

The officiant and the parties will complete the bottom portion of the marriage license.  If there are no witnesses, that area of the license can be left blank.

After you are married, and the marriage license is completed, please return the license to the Clerk of Court's Office.   Once the original license has been recorded it will be returned to you.  Additional certified copies may be acquired at an additional cost of $7.00 each.  

Should you decide not to marry, please be sure to return the original, unsigned marriage license to our office. 

Requirements For Applicants Under 18 Years of Age

  • Parental Consent- Parent or legal guardian must sign the Marriage Application.
  • Counseling- Proof of two counseling sessions, ten days apart, with a court approved counselor.
  • Judicial Approval- A District Court Judge must approve and sign the Marriage Application. A Judge may require a conference with applicants and guardian(s).