Burn Permits

Effective April 4th, 2011 the Cascade County Clerk and Recorder's Office will be issuing all burn permits.

Clerk and Recorder's Office
121 4th Street North #1B-1
Great Falls, MT 59401
(406) 454-6801
(406) 454-6703 (FAX)

The following information is provided to assist the public with understanding the state laws governing burning in Cascade County and provide specific information about what materials may not be burned at any time. Burn permits will now be available online. For more information, please see our burn permit FAQ page.

When applying for a Burn Permit the applicant must provide their name, address, phone number, materials to be burned, resources available at the burn location, section, township, range and # of acres if applicable. If there are special considerations these will need to be listed as well.

Under the provision of State Statute 50-63-103 MCA you are liable for any and all fire suppression costs and damages resulting from an escaped and/or uncontrolled fire. You are liable for your fires despite the fact that you have been issued a Burn Permit. This permit does not allow you to violate any city or county ordinances or state laws governing burning and all permit holders must abide by the State Air Quality Bureau’s "Open Burning Regulations."

For your protection please follow these guidelines when burning:

For more information, call the Clerk and Recorder's Office at (406) 454-6801, open from 7:00am to 5:00pm, Monday through Friday.

The following items are prohibited from being openly burned in Cascade County at any time or place.

(Reference Cascade County Open Burning Regulations Section 8-2 Prohibited Open Burning):

The following are portions of the Montana Code Annotated dealing with burning and a link to the State Air Quality Information page:

50-63-103. Liability of offender for damages and costs.

76-13-102. Definitions

76-13-121. Permit for burning required

State of Montana Air Quality Information Page

Information on Air Quality regulations can be obtained by contacting the City-County Health Department at the following location:

Cascade City-County Health Department
115 4th Street South
Great Falls, MT 59401
(406) 454-6950
(406) 454-6959 (FAX)